It’s been a while since I blog a recipe.
I was strolling at a farmers’ market and found a very fresh bunch selling at only $3.99/kg. They were the freshest we had ever bought for a while.
Indeed there are so many things you can make from beetroot. From smoothies to cakes, muffins as well as dips to stir fry.
I meant to share a recipe for Savoury Beetroot Muffins with Paneer Cheese. That was months ago and I still owe you one!
I used to make Yogurt Smoothies with beetroot mixed with banana or avocado blended in a few cubes of ice blocks and milk. You get all the vitamins in a drink.
Here’s my Beetroot Cake Recipe
- 1 raw beetroot (approx 250gm) cut into pieces and puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175ml vegetable oil (corn, sunflower to canola)
- 215g raw sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarb soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional)
For the sandwich: Cream Cheese to spread over cool cake.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease two loaf tins.
- In a large bowl, combine pureed beetroots, eggs, vanilla, oil and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, bicarb soda, salt, and cocoa. Add to the beetroot mixture, folding well together. Pour batter into prepared tins.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until done.
- When cakes are cold, spread cream cheese and sandwich the two loaves of cake togther.
- For the topping, you can glaze with sugar water (two tablespoons of sugar and quarter cup of water mixed together and put in the microwave to dissolve for 20 seconds) or butter when taken out from the oven.
- The cake could be eaten hot although it is nicer to put in the fridge so the cake will be easier to cut after an hour in the fridge.
Cooking & preparation time: 50 mins