This recipe is an adaption from the traditional meatloaf. Rather than an all meat recipe, I added celery to make it balanced with vegetables and meat. This recipe is simple and gets you a hearty meal in an hour. While waiting for the loaf to bake, you can prepare your accompanying dish of mashed potatoes or kumara. Alternatively, this loaf goes well with couscous.
500gm premium minced beef
500gm streaky bacon
4-6 stalks celery sliced into pieces
1 big onion cut into small pieces
50gm feta cheese
50gm tasty cheese (or cheddar or any flavor of your choice) – cut into strips
3 eggs to be added into the meat & celery mixture
1 egg to be beaten with half a cup of milk as topping for the mixture
Half a cup of breadcrumbs
3 tablespoon BBQ sauce
A dash of pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon turmeric (optional)
- Grease a chiffon cake tin (or you can use 2 loaf tins).
- Line the tin with bacon.
- In a big bowl, combine all ingredients (except the cheese strips) and mix together.
- Crack in the 3 eggs and mix well.
- Spoon half the mixture into the tin.
- Lay the cheese strips and fill up the remainder of the mixture into the rest of the tin.
- Press the mixture slightly till firm but not too hard.
- Beat the last one egg with half a cup of milk. Pour over the mixture.
- Fold in the bacon edges as a wrap for the mixture.
- Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Take an ovenproof plate and place over the baked loaf and turn upside down.
- Return to oven and grill for 5 minutes at the same temperature.
Serving suggestions: To be served with mashed potatoes/kumara or couscous.
This recipe serves 6 generous portions.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes