This recipe is more an adaptation of the Russian Cabbage Pie then an authentic one.
I bought a whole cabbage and was looking for cabbage recipes.
This pie uses 6 big cabbage leaves, cut into thin (short, not more than 3 inches) strips. After cutting, I microwave the cabbage for 3 minutes to reduce the cooking time.
For volume, I have added risotto to this recipe. I cook my risotto in the microwave for 15 minutes. It also cooks well in a rice cooker. You can substitute risotto with couscous which can be added to the cabbage when you pan fry the mixture.
If you want a vegetarian pie, you can omit the bacon.
- 1 cup of risotto – cook as per instructions
- 4 cups of shredded cabbage
- 4 pieces of bacon (cut into halves and fried) – Optional
- 1 cube chicken stock
- 100gm milk
- 125gm feta cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 3 Eggs
- 225g sour cream (1 small tub)
- 125g flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoon oil (or melted butter)*
- grated cheese (for garnish)
- mixed herbs (for garnish)
- Cook the risotto and put aside. If you are substituting this with couscous, you can add the couscous with the cabbage when you pan fry.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a wok, add one tablespoon olive oil or melted butter.
- Add the bacon slices and fry slightly.
- Add the shredded/sliced cabbages, chicken stock and stir till softened.
- Add the risotto (or couscous) and 100gm milk. Cover for 5 mins on medium flame till dry but moist.
- Turn off heat and stir in the feta cheese.
- Transfer the cooked mixture to a prepared deep baking dish (I used cooking spray).
- Beat the eggs, then stir in the sour cream and oil. Add the flour and baking powder and mix to form a batter.
- Pour over the top of the cabbage mixture.
- Garnish with mixed herbs and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 175 degrees C or until the top turns golden.