Couldn’t resist these big sweet chili peppers we found at the Fresh Fruit & Veggies shop.
We had some lamb mince in the fridge so created below.
Stuffed Chili Peppers with Lamb Mince
Ingredients (You may half the recipe for 2 chili peppers)
4 big sweet chili peppers – slit and remove seeds
400gm lamb mince (or beef)
1 small eggplant – cut into small pieces & micro* for 4 mins to soften
1 big brown onion – chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon peppermint sauce
2 tablespoon turmeric
1 lemongrass (chopped in small pieces)
4 fresh mint leaves (optional)
Garlic & Pepper Salt/Seasoning (a few dashes to taste)
A handful of grated cheese
A spoonful of butter or any cooking oil
100ml milk (approx. half cup)
Preparation (including stuffing): 20 minutes
Cooking & Baking: 35 minutes
* Microwaving the eggplant reduces the cooking time.
- Heat pan and add butter/cooking oil.
- Add chopped onions, lemongrass and turmeric.
- Add lamb mince and eggplant and stir well.
- Add garlic & pepper salt/seasoning, peppermint sauce & mint leaves.
- Add water and stir to prevent sticking.
- Add milk and cover on medium heat for about 5-10 mins.
- Remove lid and stir till water is reduced but not too dry.
- Leave the cooked mixture to cool.
- Using a teaspoon, neatly stuff the cooked mince into the chili peppers.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Wrap the stuffed peppers separately with aluminum foil.
- The stuffed peppers can be frozen and baked when required.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in preheated oven at 175 degrees C.
- Remove foil and serve on a plate. Goes well with quinoa or couscous.
This is a beautiful meal served within an hour. While the chili peppers are baking, you could prepare the quinoa or couscous.
Tip: This is a healthy dish as turmeric has medicinal health benefits and chili peppers boost metabolism.