It’s grapefruit season!
There’s just so many things you could do with grapefruit. From sweet treats of brown sugar on grapefruits to cakes, muffins, chutneys, jams and juices.
With abundance supply, I got a bit creative and created a one-pot Grapefruit Chicken with Orzo Pasta for dinner.
2 grapefruits (one for marinate and one for cooking)
800g Chicken nibbles (or 10 drumsticks) approximately
2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 onion (chopped into pieces)
Garlic salt seasoning
1 tablespoon of Butter for frying
150 gm Orzo Pasta
Celery leaves/parsley for topping (optional)
- Grate the grapefruit and juice it.
- Marinate chicken with the juice of one grapefruit and brown sugar together with the grapefruit zest a couple of hours before or overnight.
- Slice the other grapefruit into circular pieces.
- Heat the pan and add the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and marinated chicken.
- Add a dash of garlic salt seasoning to taste and then add a little mixed herbs.
- Add Orzo.
- Stir and add sufficient water to cover the chicken and orzo.
- Cover and leave to simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes and give it a quick stir.
- Add the sliced grapefruits and continue cooking for another 10 minutes until water is almost (not totally*) dry. Taste if Orzo is cooked and if not, add more water.
- Topped with celery/parsley (optional).
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Serves 3 – 4
*The Orzo will soak up the juice when left to cool.