I had some Brussels sprouts sitting in my vegetable crisper for four days. Bought a packet and certainly didn’t want them to turn yellow so I created this recipe.
If you are not a Brussels sprout fan, you can substitute this ingredient with broccoli or cauliflower. It is an easy-peasy recipe that you can whip up and ready on the table in 40 minutes. A quick healthy meal for 4-6.
250gm Brussels sprouts (or broccoli or cauliflower) – cut into bite-size pieces
1 Bombay onion
100gm bacon pieces
1 1/2 cup of milk
1 cup of couscous
1 teaspoon Moroccan seasoning
A dash of Lemon & Salt Seasoning
100gm Grated cheese
Butter for cooking & greasing baking pan
- Prepare & cut up all necessary ingredients.
- In a wok or frying pan, put in a small cube (about a tablespoon) of butter.
- Add the onions and bacon pieces and give them a stir.
- Add Brussels sprouts and carrots.
- Add the Moroccan seasoning and stir all ingredients together.
- Add the cup of milk (leave the balance 1/2 cup for later use) and leave the lid on for about 5 minutes.
- Add couscous and stir and cook till mixture lumped together.
- Turn off the heat and add half the grated cheese into the mixture.
- In a bowl, crack the two eggs and add in the balance half cup of milk.
- Beat the eggs and milk together and add a dash of lemon & salt seasoning.
- Grease the baking pan.
- Pour the cooked mixture into the pan.
- Using a spatula press slightly to compact mixture.
- Pour the beaten egg covering the surface of the mixture in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 175 degrees celsius for 25 minutes in a preheated oven.
Total cooking & preparation time 40 minutes
Serves 4 to 6